Senate Bill 272
This bill requires each local agency except a local educational agency, to implement the California Public Records Act, to:
- Create a catalog of enterprise systems
- Make the catalog publicly available upon request
- Post the catalog on the local agency's Internet website
A software application or computer system that collects, stores, exchanges and analyzes information that the agency uses that collects, stores, exchanges and analyzes information that the agency uses that is both of the following:
- A multi-departmental system or a system that contains information collected about the public.
- A system that serves as an original source of data within an agency.
An Enterprise System does not include any of the following
- Information Technology security systems, including firewalls and other cybersecurity systems.
- Physical access control systems, employee identification management systems, video monitoring and other physical control systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas or water or sewer functions.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operation or emergency services.
- Systems that would be restricted from disclosure by Section 6254.19.
- The specific records that the information technology system collects, stores, exchanges or analyzes.
Enterprise System Catalog Requirements
The catalog will contain the following:
- Current system vendor
- Current system product
- System’s purpose
- A description of categories or types of data
- The department that is the prime custodian of the data
- The frequency that system data is collected
- The frequency that system data is updated
If the public interest served by not disclosing the information described clearly outweighs the public interest served by disclosure, the local agency many instead provide a system name, brief title or identifier of the system.