What is the Crystal Geyser Project?
On Friday March 18, 2016 the Crystal Geyser Water Company submitted a conditional use permit application requesting approval to install a caretaker's/security residence at their Mt. Shasta facility. On March 23, 2016, the Siskiyou County Community Development Department informed Crystal Geyser that the use permit is a discretionary project and is subject to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
The issue is that while the bottling facility operation is a permitted use under the subject property's heavy industrial zoning classification, the installation of the caretaker's residence is a discretionary action under CEQA. In making the determination about the appropriate level of the environmental document for the use permit application, County staff considered the whole of the bottling operations. In addition, staff also considered that while the project does require discretionary permits from other agencies, these other agencies only have permitting responsibilities for certain limited aspects of the entire bottling facility. This permitting arrangement has led to considerable concern voiced by the community over the potential of unaddressed environmental impacts. To analyze the defined project and to address the permitting concerns, the County informed Crystal Geyser that an environmental impact report (EIR) was required to be prepared in conjunction with the submitted use permit application.
The following are the highlights associated with preparing the EIR:
- Siskiyou County, as the Lead Agency, has selected an independent environmental consultant to prepare the EIR.
- The selected consultant is examining and analyzing all potential environmental impacts associated with the plant operations as part of the EIR.
- Crystal Geyser Water Company will pay for the cost of the EIR, including the County's administrative costs.
- The estimated time to complete the EIR is twelve months.
- Publication of the Notice of Preparation occured on June 24, 2016.
- Comments received were reviewed by the Consultant.
- Public Scoping Meeting- occurred on Wednesday, July 20, 2016
- Public Review of Draft Environmental Impact Report began on Thursday, January 12, 2017 and will end at 5:00 p.m. on Monday, February 27, 2017.
- Completion of the Final Environmental Impact Report – Anticipated to be completed in March/April 2017.
- Planning Commission Public Hearing on the Project - Anticipated for May/June 2017.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: The above dates are estimated. The actual dates are dependent on the completion of any necessary technical reports, input received during the scoping period, agency and public comments received on the DEIR, preparing the responses to the DEIR comments, and the completion of the FEIR.
The County is accepting comments on the Crystal Geyser Draft EIR. Click HERE to submit comments via email.
Public Comments that have been received and posted
The Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) is available below in "Crystal Geyser Project Resources" at the bottom of this page. Please note there are separate documents for all the sections of the DEIR and appendices. The nine (9) sections of the DEIR are listed first numerically. Appendices A through V are listed after the 9 sections of the DEIR in alphabetic order. They are labeled DEIR-A through DEIR-V. At the end are reference documents. These are documents that are incorporated into the DEIR by reference.